SOUTH LAKELAND DISTRICT COUNCIL
13 July 2022
SLDC COMMITS TO FURTHER GREEN BUSINESS SUPPORT
South Lakeland District Council has increased its commitment to supporting small businesses better manage their environmental impacts and reap the benefits of going green.
SLDC has increased its contribution to its partnership with Green Small Business (GSB) to offer a heavily subsidised deal for firms to get environmental advice and certification.
GSB provides streamlined environmental management systems and net zero support for small businesses. Their environmental action planning and certification package, which includes 12 months Green Small Business certification, usually costs from £299. SLDC is paying 50 per cent of these costs for businesses in South Lakeland.
Tim Maiden from GSB said "Green Small Business provides a straightforward, low-hassle, low-cost way for you to manage the environmental impacts of your small business with tailored environmental policies and plans, green certification and support for becoming a net zero business.”
"We enable you to take practical and meaningful steps to improve the carbon and environmental performance of your business.
"Green Small Business certification can enhance the reputation of your business among customers and staff, increase the markets you can access and save you money."
The package of support includes:
• A high-level but systematic review of the environmental impacts of the business (via video-call or phone);
• A draft environmental action plan and policy for the business, for you to adjust as necessary;
• 12 months Green Small Business certification.
The benefits to a small business of becoming Green Small Business certified include:
• Providing evidence of environmentally-friendly practices which can help secure contracts with government, public or private sector bodies;
• Saving money by understanding and managing how you use energy and water, where your raw materials come from and how you dispose of waste;
• Enhancing reputation by demonstrating commitment to the environment to clients, customers and potential customers;
• Improving your environmental performance by reducing resource use, energy use and waste.
Councillor Dyan Jones, SLDC's Portfolio Holder for Climate Action and Biodiversity, said: “It is great to see so many businesses in South Lakeland taking their environmental impacts seriously and taking steps to reduce them. We at SLDC are delighted to be able to extend our offer, through Green Small Business, of expert support which will see more enterprises become increasingly energy efficient and environmentally aware."
Councillor Robin Ashcroft, Portfolio Holder for Economy, Culture and Leisure, said: "Working with the environment in mind should not be seen as a blocker to success in business. Becoming Green Small Business certified can enhance a business’s viability, profitability and attraction to customers, clients and partners, and I would encourage any small business which hasn't already done so to consider SLDC's subsidised offer of help."
If you are a business based in South Lakeland, email firstname.lastname@example.org to receive your discount code.
To find out more, go to https://greensmallbusiness.com/south-lakeland-business-support.