SOUTH LAKELAND DISTRICT COUNCIL
15 December 2021
NEW RULES ON MANDATORY COVID-19 CHECKS
Following on from last night’s vote in Parliament, from today (Wednesday, 15 December), the Covid-19 rules on entering certain venues and events are changing.
Organisations are now required to take reasonable steps to make sure that all visitors aged 18 or above show either an NHS COVID Pass, an approved proof of vaccination, evidence of a recent negative test or an exemption, to enter the venue or event.
Attendees must show they have either:
- Proof of vaccination with two doses of an approved vaccine (or one of the single-dose Janssen vaccine)
- Proof of a negative PCR or rapid lateral flow test within the last 48 hours
- Exemption on the basis of a medical exemption or clinical trial participation
Please note that evidence of natural immunity will not be accepted as an alternative to proof of vaccination or testing.
Accepted proof can be any of the following:
- NHS COVID Pass
- Approved international equivalentfor those vaccinated in other countries.
- Valid text or email confirmation of a recent test result from NHS Test and Trace
Which venues and events must carry out COVID-19 status checks?
The venues and events where the NHS COVID Pass, or alternative proofs of COVID-19 status, must be used as a condition of entry are:
- Nightclubs, dancehalls and discotheques
- Other late night dance venues, where all of the following apply:
- the venue is open any time between 1am and 5am
- it serves alcohol after 1am
- it has a dancefloor (or space for dancing)
- it provides music, whether live or recorded, for dancing
- Indoor events with 500 or more attendees, where those attendees are likely to stand or move around for all or part of the event, such as music venues with standing audiences or large receptions
- Outdoor events with 4,000 or more attendees, where those attendees are likely to stand or move around for all or part of the event, such as outdoor festivals
- Events with 10,000 or more attendees, whether indoor or outdoor, such as large sports and music events
- For other venues (such as indoor or outdoor sport stadia, conference centres, exhibition halls, live music venues, theatres and concert halls), COVID-19 status checks are only required where they are hosting an event which meets the relevant attendee threshold. For more information on exemptions and thresholdsplease visit the GOV UK website to see the full list of exempt activities.
If you manage a venue or are planning an event then support is available to help you carry out these checks at your venue or event.
If you are changing the way that your premises currently operates, such as closing at an earlier time, or restricting the use of your dance floor, please inform SLDC on the email address below.
South Lakeland District Council’s Health and Environment team can give advice to individual businesses to guide them through the support available and which options are open to them. Please email Publicprotection@southlakeland.gov.uk if you have any questions. You can also visit the GOV.UK website for all theguidance on carrying out COVID-19 status checks.
Officers from SLDC and the Police will be carrying out visits in the coming days.